|The Anglican Church through the Corporation of the Diocesan Synod of North Queensland is the trustee of The Good Shepherd Nursing Home Charitable Trust. Under their sponsorship The Good Shepherd Home meets or exceeds all residential aged care standards and is accredited by the Aged Care Standards Agency. The Home is a non-profit charitable organisation that has been serving Townsville and surrounding regions since 1972. We are partly subsidised from the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing for our Residents. |
The Good Shepherd Home is managed by The Good Shepherd Home's Council, a group of dedicated people who have strived since 1968 to ensure the Home offers the best possible care and service. Their commitment to the Home is evident and ongoing. The fund-raising necessary to establish, continually upgrade and expand The Good Shepherd Home has been, and continues to be, a mammoth undertaking. The members freely provide guidance in spiritual, legal, financial, medical, building, nursing, human resource and environmental matters. Please click here to view the names of the current Council members and senior management.
|Philosophy of Care|
|Jesus said: "Come to me, all you who labour and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest" - Matthew 11 v 28|
|The staff of the Home believe all Residents are entitled to optimum fullness of life by: |
- The physical, emotional and spiritual support of sensitive, professional staff;
- The love and comfort of family and friends;
- The acceptance of Residents as individuals, to be treated with respect and having the assurance of freedom to live and die with dignity, moral strength, courage and in peace;
- Encouragement to make decisions regarding their well-being, a variety of daily activities and maintenance of independence;
- Acknowledging their right to privacy and respect of person, place and belongings;
- The delivery of care in a safe, flexible and homelike environment, whilst having justice shown to them, irrespective of their race, creed or status.
|The mission of The Good Shepherd Home is to care in a Christian manner for those people who are chronically ill, sick or frail, aged or requiring special care in a homelike environment. The mission is based on the following values: |
|Excellence:||In the provision of optimum standard of Resident based care and service|
|Respect:||For the person's rights and individuality. Respect is the attitude that recognises the unique dignity of every person: Resident, relative, visitor, staff member.|
|Advocacy:||For all persons to ensure rights are not eroded or undermined.|
|To ensure a welcoming openness to all that fosters mutually beneficial service provision.|
| Objectives:|| |
- To pursue excellence in the provision of quality care and service for all Residents.
- To comply with all standards and legal requirements in residential care and in the services required supporting such care.
- To foster the personal and professional development of all staff
- To meet all requirements associated with accreditation.
- To ensure the facility complies at all times with relevant standards.
- To identify and meet the community's needs in the provision of quality care and service.
- To offer pastoral care services necessary to meet the spiritual and cultural needs of The Good Shepherd Home community.
- To maintain a financially viable organisation.